I hope the holidays treated each and everyone of you well. This year has been an exciting and interesting one and before we embark on a new year and new session I would like to comment on a few of 2011's highlights. The First Step.
As I pledged to during last fall's campaign, I worked with Democrats and Republicans in the House and Senate to usher forward meaningful prescription drug abuse legislation. Act 11 was the first step towards addressing this very real issue.
Our work is far from done, and I will continue the fight for more resources for those afflicted by theses life threatening addictions and stricter laws for those who illegally divert and abuse these dangerous drugs.
Our work is far from done, and I will continue the fight for more resources for those afflicted by theses life threatening addictions and stricter laws for those who illegally divert and abuse these dangerous drugs.
The High Water Mark.
This year saw massive flooding across the state. From spring floods here in Franklin County to the widespread devastation left in the wake of Tropical Storm Irene, 2011 like 1927, will forever be remembered for...
However, in times of great uncertainty Vermonters always rise to the occasion. In fact here in St.Albans our relief efforts touched many communities. From food drives, to countless man hours of volunteered service, St. Albans stepped up. I was proud to work with local business owners, educators and citizens to help coordinate these efforts.
In the wake of the 27' flood, President Coolidge returned to his home state to view the effects of that infamous disaster and proclaimed,
"If the spirit of liberty should vanish in other parts of the Union, and support of our institutions should languish, it could all be replenished from the generous store held by the people of this brave little state of Vermont."
Nearly a century later, these words still personify the enduring spirit of Vermonters.
Bad Medicine
This year the legislature passed and the Governor signed into law a bill that promises only to bring more uncertainty to Vermonters. Green Mountain Care, Vermont's new single payer healthcare law was lauded by the administration as its signature legislative achievement. The law failed to include standards for care, any mention of how we would pay for a massive new entitlement program and promises to undermine the federally mandated Health Care Exchange which is intended to create a competitive market for consumers .
This is an issue that will again be in the forefront of the session, and with much at stake, I urge you to send me your comments and concerns as the conversation pushes forward.
Breaking New Ground
Soon into January we will begin to see the signs of new construction in the Town. After nearly two decades of legal battles, the Vermont Supreme Court gave the final clearance for Wal-Mart. While this is important to our county's economic future, it should also serve as a reminder of the negative effects our broken permit process has on economic development.
I will continue to fight for a system that recognizes our need to preserve the natural resources of our beautiful state while allowing it to compete for quality jobs with neighboring states.
2012...
With the beginning of the session Tuesday, 2012 promises to be very exciting. I am looking forward to getting back to work on your behalf, so that this year may be better than the last.
Election years are full of energy and constructive conversation concerning our city, state and nation. We must never forget that our founders understood the need for common sense and compromise. As the House reconvenes, let us hope that both prevail.
Happy NewYear,
Rep. Dustin A.Degree
St. Albans City
ddegree@leg.state.vt.us
No comments:
Post a Comment