Degree for Franklin County, 31 Bank Street, St. Albans, Vermont 05478

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Thank you, St. Albans City...

With Tuesday’s election just days away, I wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude to the residents of St. Albans City. I’ve spent the last few months, making my way into the nooks and crannies of our community. The reception I was given each time I knocked on a door was always pleasant and respectful, even if I happened to interrupt dinner, and for that I am truly grateful.

I’m proud of the effort put forth on my behalf by so many city residents and I’m proud to have built a coalition of Republicans, Democrats and Independents who understand the dire need for balance and moderation in the State House.

I believe that this election, perhaps more than any other in recent history, is about the future of our city and state and our ability to compete in the 21st century economy.

For this to happen, we must work towards creating an environment where businesses can grow and thrive. We must make sure that when a Vermont company looks to expand, they don’t first look outside of our boarders and when out-of-state companies look to grow, it is imperative that they see Vermont as an affordable option to expand their enterprise.

This means taking commonsense steps to making our state more accessible by expanding broadband and working to reform our broken permit process.

We must work to lower the tax burden on our families and businesses. It was irresponsible for the legislature to levy an additional $20million in new taxes on the backs of Vermonters at a time when everyone is doing more with less.

State government must follow that lead.

We must find ways to better understand and combat the influx of prescription and hard drugs into our community. This means finding the resources to support those who seek help as they work towards breaking these addictions, and the resolve to stand together against those who push these dangerous drugs onto our young people.

Our legislators must serve as an independent voice for our community, without regard for the prejudice or praise of party leaders. They must be willing to do what is necessary to ensure that the promise of this community is not lost for any generation.


I am ready and I am eager to pursue these priorities as your next Representative -- so that when I am someday blessed with a family, I’ll have the chance to give St. Albans to my children, the same way my parents gave it to me, and their parents before them.


It has been my pleasure to meet and talk with so many of you and it would be my honor to serve the best interest of our community, in the State House. I humbly ask for your support, on Election Day.


Together, we can make a difference.
Dustin A. Degree
Printed in the Messenger, 11/1/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment