Dustin Degree is our community’s best choice to fill the junior representative’s seat for St. Albans City in Montpelier. The vitality and sustainability of our local economy is a core issue that dictates the quality of life which we can expect to enjoy. A fair and reasonable tax burden for all sectors is a critical element to this end. Business as usual in the State House will not get us there. Dustin understands this and as a young man who was born, brought up and lives in St. Albans City, he is deeply committed to our community. Please join me in supporting Dustin on Tuesday November 2nd.
Ward Five Alderman, Joe Luneau , St. Albans City
As a young person who grew up in St. Albans and has chosen to further my education here in Vermont, I want to tell you why I’m voting for Dustin Degree to be my State Representative.
When I graduate from UVM in 2013, I may face a very difficult decision. Will I be able to fulfill my dream and stay in Vermont to pursue a career, or will I have to look beyond the borders of the state and community I grew up in?
It’s important for people to understand that while many in this position would like to stay, Vermont may not always offer a level playing field for those who are seeking to start a career and build a life.
I understand that Vermont might not be able to offer the same opportunities as big cities, but finding a job isn’t the only thing causing my generation to leave Vermont. High housing costs and a high cost of living takes the option of staying off the table for many talented young people.
In an effort to keep my Vermont at the standards I’ve come to expect for future generations, I’m voting for the person whom I believe is the most fiscally responsible and truly concerned for the future of Vermont: Dustin Degree.
Tim Manahan, St. Albans City, UVM Class of ‘13
As a young person who grew up in St. Albans City and keeps a close eye on the goings on there, I was upset to read the recent letter to the editor from Rep. Jeff Young in which he shares his “vision,” for the future of the community.
I was born and raised in St. Albans. I graduated from BFA and when it came time to choose a college, my home state did not provide me with the same opportunity that I could find elsewhere. When it came time for me to find a job as a teacher, I found that while I had a deep desire to return to my family and my home, Vermont simply could not compete with the opportunities I was offered in other states. For example, New York offered me the opportunity to work full-time as a teacher, while earning a subsidized Master’s Degree.
I know that I am not alone in this as very few of my childhood friends have remained in Vermont. After reading the exchange between Mr. Young and Dustin Degree, I hope that voters in the City will support Dustin’s vision for St. Albans over that of Jeff Young. St. Albans is special, but that is no reason that any community leader should ever be satisfied with the direction of its economy and job market.
In my heart, I would love to return to my home state, but unless there is a significant change, I fear that this may never be an option, due to lack of economic opportunity. This is not acceptable. I am encouraged by Dustin’s goal to tackle these issues that will help me and others in my situation find our way back to Vermont and St. Albans.
Too many St. Albans families have been forced to grow apart because of the direction the legislature has taken the economy in recent years. I hope that you’ll consider my opinion this November and elect Dustin Degree as State Representative.
Meredith Johnson, New York
On November 2nd City residents will have an opportunity to choose who represents us in the Legislature. This year, we have a chance to elect a talented young man with a unique energy and resolve to make his hometown a better place. He’s already serving the community as a member of the City Development Review Board and the Board of Directors for the St. Albans Amateur Skating Association. In a time when most of our young people are trying to find the quickest way out of town, Dustin has dug in. So in hopes of retaining some of the wonderful young people that this community has helped shape, I’m voting for Dustin.
Ann Robitaille, St. Albans City
I wanted to take a moment to pass on my two cents on the race for State Representative. I’ve taken a close interest in the race closely over the last few months and while I consider myself an independent, I am confident in supporting Dustin Degree to represent me in Montpelier. It’s not often that any community has an opportunity to elect someone with so much passion and enthusiasm to effect change in the legislature. I’ve seen him walking door-to-door in the rain, standing on corners waving with his campaign signs and most importantly, when one of our sitting Reps tossed sarcastic and rude comments his way in the Messenger, he stayed above it. Through his hard work and respectful campaign, Dustin has earned my vote, and I hope that you’ll join with me to send him to Montpelier on Election Day.
Ashley Duncan, St. Albans City
I read, with annoyance, Rep. Jeff Young’s most recent letter to the editor titled “Experience?” Mr. Young spins a yarn about his past, and a failed run for the legislature in some other part of the country. He says that his bid, back in 1970, was “pure ego” and that he “didn’t know how to stand on his own.”
This is nothing more than a veiled attempt to discredit Dustin Degree, solely because of his age. It’s sad that Jeff has tried to thrust his own misgivings as a candidate 40 years ago onto Dustin. I bet that when Jeff ran all those years back, he didn’t have the “experience” of serving as an aide to whomever the sitting Governor was, in whatever state he ran in.
I bet, especially if this election is an indication of all those years back, he didn’t work nearly as hard as Dustin has over the last few months, meeting with city residents, going door to door and telling people just how he wants to make a difference for his hometown. Rep. Kathie Keenan, who has served our city for over two decades, still takes the time to drop her campaign literature around the city.
What do you stand for Jeff? Apparently you feel the voters of St. Albans City aren’t worth your time or energy.
It’s obvious to anyone who has spoken with Dustin that his bid for State House is about making St. Albans a better place, and nothing more. He speaks with a passion for our community, and it’s truly refreshing.
I hope the readers of the Messenger see though this, I really do. On Tuesday, we will choose between a candidate who wants to give back to a community that gave to him, and a person who’s best argument for reelection is, he’s older than the other guy.
The choice is clear.
Tyler Stanislas, St. Albans City
No comments:
Post a Comment